24 October 2010

Northen loop of no toilets

I know not a lot of people come to northern Scotland in November, let alone later in the year, but what's with locking all the toilets at the end of September?!?!? I mean really, half of your attractions are closed, what to you expect people to do? Knock on peoples door, offer them 20p and ask to use theirs?!?? OK, enough of that rant, I think you all know what happened to me today and we'll just leave it at that.
So we got going, bright and early at around 10-10.30am (hey it's a holiday ok!!) and headed off to Duncansby Head, the most north-easterly point in Scotland to look at the stacks there, they were cool, very cool in fact, cos the wind at this point made the wind yesterday look like a complete beginner!!! I think it was coming directly from some snow in the North-pole to my nose and ear tips. The only reason it didn't get any other past of me was because that all the rest was covered, completely by upto 5 layers of clothing (if I'd had more it would have been one me, let me tell you.) The sun was shining away, but I think it must have been on 'fake' setting as it was adding no warmth to the day what so ever. Arctic and Antarctic explorers of the 19 whatevers, I have a whole new found respect for you guys! Cold and windy just got a whole load colder of the 'Louise' meter!
Neil decided it would be a great idea to climb down the 65 m high cliffs in this little cove bit where there was a tiny bit of track and some sheep trails, typical. This meant I had to sit around in the said wind and wait for him, always assuming of course that he hadn't slipped and fallen out of my view point and was lying in a crushed and broken heap on the ground, with the car keys. On the plus side, he did get to see some seals, including some baby ones, which were still all cute and white. The parent seals didn't like this very much, so thankfully, Neil decided to leave.
Next stop was the ruins of a castle near Wick. These have been fenced off, as they aren't really all that stable. Naturally we, like many other visitors, climbed the fence and had a closer look. I kept well away from the edges. There were some friendly Americans, who I took a photo for, other than that it was, yep, you guessed it, windy!.
Next we went on to the Camster Cairns, these have been reconstructed and are meant to be 'original' except they have put concrete roofs into them, which I am fairly sure the 'cave men' in around 3500BC would not have been able to do. Still they look cool and of course, Neil insisted on crawling into all of them at the expense of making is pants (trousers for the UK audience) dirty.
Last stop for the day was an old slate mine where many fish fossils have been found. Needless to say (please refer back to the first paragraph) I could give a shit about fish fossils at this stage of the day. We didn't find any, although the hire car tire leaver preformed exceptionally well as a geological hammer.

No comments: